Thursday, September 27, 2012

Titus 2 Series:To Love Their Husbands



When I told my Mom what my next blog post would be on, I casually said, "That will be easy to do!" I meant that I already knew what I would say. But she teased me and told me she would remind me of that comment the day I call her and tell her I am having some struggles in my marriage! We laughed really hard.

But seriously, why would a young unmarried woman be talking about loving husbands? And how does this pertain to young women-in-training?

Let's take a peek at Proverbs 31:12. "She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life." Did you catch that? She is honoring him all of her life! But how does she accomplish this?

If you look at the list of things this virtuous women does, you have to stop and wonder, how did she get to be doing all these things? Feeding the poor, making clothes for her children and husband, having a business head on her shoulders, and making meals for her household. I can assure you, she didn't start honing her skills when she was married. No, she started when she was young, before it was anywhere near the time she could be thinking about having a husband.

She also guarded her heart. She was pure, loving her husband enough to save her whole heart for him. I think this is the hardest thing for me to do. In this culture where you are considered weird if you aren't hanging on a guys' arm, or talking about the cute boy you just met in the store who was staring at you. Someone once told me, "You are so limited on your choice of men. My daughter can marry anyone, but you can only choose Christian men." To which I replied, "You have no idea how limited I am! I have only 1 man!". They didn't know how to answer that.

But, if you are like me, you need suggestions on how to live out the sermon! :) Well, I think the number 1 thing that has helped me tremendously throughout the years is to memorize scripture and meditate on it instead of thinking of boys and guys all the time. I know how we girls think. And it can be so hard to control our thoughts some times. One minute you are thinking about something, and suddenly a young man's name pops in your mind, and before you know it, you are dreaming about him! It is very frustrating! But it isn't our battle. It is Christ's. If you are filling your mind with truth, there will be no room for anything else.

Second, I have made a commitment not to read anything romantic. It only encourages those wrong emotions and thoughts. Not to say you can't read any fiction book, but make sure it is clean and wholesome. If it doesn't match up with Philippians 4:8, then you shouldn't read it. I know, that knocks practically every book out, but if we must think on truth, so we will be living truth.

Lastly, I would encourage you to start learning skills that will be beneficial for you later life. Don't sit around drumming your fingers on the window sill dreaming about Prince Charming, but rather fill your time wisely. Perhaps you could make encouraging cards and pass them out in nursing homes. Or, if you like to sew or crochet, consider making baby blankets or hats for expecting mothers you may know. Babysit for a family so the parents can go out on a date night (age allowing).

I have learned to pray this prayer. Some call it the prayer of Jabez. Every time I pray it, the Lord adds to my life. Actually, He adds to my ministry. He opens my eyes to the needs around me. This prayer is found in 1 Chronicles 4:10. "And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep [me] from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested." It isn't a secret remedy for a life of boredom, but if God answered for Jabez, He will do the same for you!

A good book I recommend is "Before You Meet Prince Charming" by Sarah Mally. It is one of the best books I have found on the subject, and is great for any age.

I hope I have encouraged you to love your husband all the days of your life!

Blessings,
Emily Long 


7 comments:

  1. I think you hit on a major key to guarding your heart here; it begins with your thought life! I am glad you are learning and applying these deep truths to your own life. Amazing insight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, this is beautiful...coming from a young wife and mother, you're absolutely on the right track! It's so worth the years of learning and of waiting...it really is! I know you won't regret it! Thank-you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great blessing finding young ladies with such a sweet and pure heart! I'm 27 years old, I married 1 and half years ago with my only and only one "boyfriend"- we called it more courtship and it was actually "engagement" since I knew (after praying and seeking God) I would marry him. The waiting really really pays off! soo worth it..oh! and we were actually 4 years in a long distance relationship before getting married!! I was in Mexico and He was in the UK! (we now live in Botswana in southern Africa (home land of my husband) and we have a little 5 month old girl! I'm so proud to say He's been the only man in my life! :) keep on going!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good post!! It's so true that we must fill our minds with uplifting and truthful thoughts if we're ever going to succeed at being our husband's encourager and helpmeet! How will we ever guard our homes if we first don't guard our own hearts?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss Emily -- you are wise beyond your years and will be miraculous blessing to the man God has chosen for you. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was good! And... have you read "Preparing to Be a Help Meet" by Debi Pearl? It is amazing and I highly recommend it!


    ~Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everybody for the encouragement! I pray someone is blessed by it.

    TM: Yes, I have read that book! It opened my eyes to a lot of things that I didn't realize I was/wasn't doing. I highly recommend it as well, but to older girls. I think it had a few parts in it that would be for older teens only. That is why I didn't put it in the post.

    ReplyDelete