Monday, October 27, 2014

Armour of God


Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; and your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.                                    
Ephesians 6:13-17                                                                             
photo credit: Morguefile.com

I was studying this passage this week, and thought I would share my findings with you!

Belt of Truth.
Girt-gird: To encircle, surround, to secure. To gird oneself is to prepare and strengthen oneself for what is to come.
We are to surround ourselves with truth-Jesus especially, and the Bible, in order to be prepared and strengthened for what ever battles or assignments He might have for us.

Breastplate of righteousness
We need Christ's righteousness to cloth us, for ours is as filthy rags.

Shoes of the gospel of peace
Feet represents going somewhere. We are to be prepared to go and give the gospel to anyone who asks of the hope within us. (1 Peter 3:15)

Shield of faith
Faith-complete confidence or trust in something or someone
Shield-Something or someone that protects you.
We have all the power and grace supplied to be able to extinguish temptations and sin, but we must have complete confidence in our shield of defense- Jesus Christ.

Helmet of salvation
Salvation-saved from sin and delivered form Hell.
Christ is our salvation, our way of escape, deliverance, Redeemer. But He also gives us assurance of that. He is also our helmet-protection of salvation. Since we can't earn it, we can't keep it either. He maintains it for us.

Sword of the Spirit, that is the Word of God
If you have the Spirit within you, it will communicate with you, whether you are displeasing God, or if you should or shouldn't do something. It is your most powerful weapon, because without the Spirit, it would be next to impossible to know God. The sword may also be used to prick me, to show me my sin. It is used for killing the enemy as well.
The word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Hebrews 4:12

So, without Christ, we cannot have the armor of God, and can't use it either. Christ is the key element here.

Here is a poem that I wrote as I was meditating on this:

I will be your belt of truth
I will prepare and strengthen you.
There are battles up the road,
Just be still and think on what is true.

I will be your breastplate, I will
Clothe you in My righteousness.
My blood is the price I paid,
Only trust, and rest in My holiness.

I will prepare you with the gospel,
And tell you where to go.
You must be ready always,
Tell the world of your hope.

I will be your shield of faith,
A refuge for you to hide.
Only use the grace and power,
I lovingly supplied.

I will be your salvation,
I will redeem you.
You can in no way earn it,
I will guard it too.

If you abide in Me,
And I abide in you,
My Spirit with the Word of God,
 Will be a light to guide you.

I will be your armor, the armor of God.
I will be with you in trouble,
and guide where your feet trod.
I will set you free,
And give you peace in the storm.
I am your Lord Almighty.
Copyright 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment